Kelcroft E&M Limited
unit A10 Kowloon Bay Hong Kong
+852 2335 9830
home > news > Renovation Regulations

Renovation Regulations 9 November 2019

John Herbert, hong kong energy saving expert, BEAM expert
John Herbert

If the architect, designer, BEAM consultant or contractor is telling you that your 500 sqm renovation / refurbishment project does not need BEEO certification, stop, and call us.


In Hong Kong the architect/designer/contractor has no liability, since 2012 the OWNER is responsible and liable for compliance with Cap 610. Building Energy Efficiency Ordinance, also known as BEEO.

Naturally the OWNER is responsible, that means he or she is accountable and wholly liable for consequences which could be jail time and/or a fine.

Trying to split a project into two x 300 sqm projects doesnt help, EMSD views the project as one 600sqm project.

Importantly, renovation / refurbishment project(s) with a floor area over 500 sqm requires a Registered Energy Assessor (REA) to inspect the works within 30 days of occupation and return the signed form of compliance to EMSD.

Also, remember that EMSD will check random projects for on-site verification.

To hire REA call us on+852 2335 9830 today!

About the Author

John Herbert is a veteran chief engineer with more than 30 years international engineering experience, educated in the United Kingdom, he has worked in the United Kingdom and then across Asia for more than two decades engaged by international and local companies. He is a Hong Kong Registered Energy Assessor (REA), a BEAM Professional, and stationed in Hong Kong.

Related Reading


tags: renovation, refurbishment, fitout, Hong Kong, certificate of compliance, COC Registered Energy Assessor, REA, EMSD
date: 28-11-20
kelcroft consultants hong kong